Skip to main content

Book Time With The Sprite




The Very Very Very Lazy Lazy Ladybug as read by His Spriteness.

One busy morning as I am rushing about the house deep in my morning ritual of putting on my cornflakes and pouring nice cold milk over a bowl of underwear, I heard a voice. It was talking, conversing, telling a story. I easily recognised the voice as that of my own child (now THAT'S parenting for ya) but it was different somehow.

It wasn't whining, pleading for some sticky sugary food item he is not allowed. It wasn't crying because the house next door was painted the wrong color. It wasn't screaming, shrieking at the top of his lungs, just to see if it's true  that Daddies eyeballs start to bleed from sound over 21,000hz frequency and 120db of amplitude. No, this sound was quite, peaceful, conversational.

I stopped to listen for a moment, half expecting to hear a secret conversation with a new found imaginary friend, or worse. For him to be speaking in Aramaic, uttering strange ancient curses. But once I poked my head around his door, instead of picking an outfit for to wear today at school, I saw him sitting on the floor, book in hands, reading to himself.

Of course this would make any parent proud. The fact he chose to pick a book, one we had been reading every night for a couple of weeks, and voluntarily entertain himself with words was a huge step in the right direction as far as I am concerned. Not to mention it was darn cute.

Obviously he wasn't actually reading the words off the page. He's a way off from doing that. As I mentioned, we had been reading the book every night, and The Sprite Brain had clearly absorbed the story and memorised the words. This is almost more impressive, a trait he has displayed many times since, memorising words and books with ease. Matching the story to the pictures, and understanding the context, he is able to recount his most popular books.

I told ElectricMommy he would make a great actor if he can memorise his lines that easily. She said if he can remember a birthday or wedding anniversary (something his Dad is incapable of) she'll be happy. 


Comments

Rupert said…
Very cool! Funny text, cute video :) I love his emerging accent - lots of English inflections in there :)
MadMac66 said…
Thanks Rupert. He is growing up to be a slightly confused little boy. For example, around mummy he says "wodder" and "soss" whilst around me he will say "warter" and "sorce". Whats funnier is that he has noticed we pronounce things differently and ask each of us to say the word in turn.

"Mummy, can you say 'sorce'"....Daddy can you say "soss"

Thanks for stopping by and dropping in a comment...

Popular posts from this blog

DIY How To: Vanishing Fountain

Greetings. And welcome to another Just Do It DIY project. In this video I’m going to show you how I created this really cool vanishing fountain. Water features are always a great addition to your landscaping; and a vanishing fountain like this is stylish, compact and ultimately really pleasing to listen to. In the video I'll cover the following steps: 1. Assess & Design 2. Materials & Tools 3. Digging the  Reservoir 4. Building the  Reservoir  Form 5. Lining the  Reservoir 6. Installing the Aquablox 7. Installing the Pump 9. Finishing Touches Assess & Design For this project we wanted a water feature close to the front porch where we could enjoy the sound of water falling without having to build a huge pond, or fountain or waterfall. We chose a large concrete planter from a landscape supply store to use as our fountain, and to use an  Aquablox  so we could hide ...

Semanal08 : Week13 - Fun With Water & Leaves

Click to Play On a chill but pleasent spring morning, our little Sprite finds many an amusement in the back garden wonderland of fallen leaves, puddles, dirt and all manner of things to get himself filthy dirty and soaking wet. Oh well, boys will be boys. Anyhow, it keeps him busy and occupied for a time. Even if it means we have to rake up the leaves again after the G-Express ploughed through them for the umpteenth time.

I Miss My Mummy

Sometimes, a little boy just needs his mummy. Even though that little boy is 43 years old, mum still knows best, and every once in a while it's nice to go around to mum's house and soak the benefit of her worldly knowledge, advice and reassurance. Where is this sentimentality coming from tonight? This evening I had the pleasure of presenting a few samples of my work at the Orange County Multimedia Association Digital Video SIG. I was quite happy to be asked to do this, as I had been attending these meetings for many years and had wanted to present for a long time. One of the leaders and hosts of the group saw some work on my website and was suitably impressed to warrant an invitation to me to share some of my motion graphics tips and techniques with the group. So tonight I got to stand there for ten minutes showing off four of my best samples of work a a precursor to next months meeting where I will case study and dissect a project in detail. I received some great feedback for ...